On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 5:47 AM, ching <lschin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I try to defrag my btrfs root partition (run by root privilege)
>
> find / -type f -o -type d -print0 | xargs --null --no-run-if-empty btrfs
> filesystem defragment -t $((32*1024*1024))
>

> 1. This kind of error messages is prompted:
>
>     failed to open /bin/bash
>     open:: Text file busy
>     total 1 failures
>     failed to open /lib64/ld-2.15.so
>     open:: Text file busy
>     total 1 failures
>     failed to open /sbin/agetty
>     open:: Text file busy
>     failed to open /sbin/btrfs
>     open:: Text file busy
>     failed to open /sbin/dhclient
>     open:: Text file busy
>     failed to open /sbin/init
>     open:: Text file busy
>     failed to open /sbin/udevd
>
>     It seems that locked files cannot be defragged, is it expected behaviour?

I can't reproduce that behaviour here, although maybe you're running
an older kernel with some bug that's since been fixed?

> 2. Btrfs Wiki mentions that defrag directory will defrag metadata, is
> symlink/hardlink considered as metadata?
>
>     P.S. inline data is already disabled by "max_inline=0"

Well, that's a silly thing to do, causing every small file to take up
a separate 4kb block rather than its size * 2, and requiring extra
seeks to read/write them (i.e., if you have a million 10 byte files,
they'll now take up 4GB instead of 20MB).

> 3. Is any possible to online defrag a btrfs partition without hindered by
> mount point/polyinstantied directories?

If you're asking if you can defrag an unmounted btrfs, not at this
time.  It's possible in principle, nobody has cared enough to
implement it yet.