On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM,  <merc1...@f-m.fm> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 10:31, Mitch Harder wrote:
>> I run btrfs on top of LUKS encryption on my laptop.  You should be able to
>> do the same.
>>
>> You could then run rsync through ssh.  However, rsync will have no knowledge
>> of any blocks shared under subvolume snapshots.
>>
>> Btrfs does not yet have internal encryption.

> The FAQ says specifically to NOT run BTRFS with any kind of volume
> encryption, so you're asking for trouble.

Sayeth the FAQ:

Does Btrfs work on top of dm-crypt?
This is deemed safe since 3.2 kernels. Corruption has been reported
before that, so you want a recent kernel. The reason was improper
passing of device barriers that are a requirement of the filesystem to
guarantee consistency.

> And clearly encryption is not possible if you need snapshots.

Snapshots don't come into this at all:  btrfs doesn't care where the
block devices it's on come from.  Things like dm-crypt show btrfs (or
whatever filesystem you put on it) a decrypted view of the device.