On Monday 17 of December 2012 13:05:01 Martin Křížek wrote:
> * Limitations
> Not really limitations, but this is a list of situations when dedup will
> not be triggered:
> - compression - basically, dedup is kind of compression, might be worth to
> into it in the future though

I don't see why it would be incompatible, compressed blocks are data like
any other. COW and subvolume snapshots work with compressed nodes just as
well as with regular ones...

> - data across subvolumes

Wasn't the "cp --reflink" across subvolumes merged to mainline quite a bit
ago? Under 3.6.9 it works fine for me... Also, the blocks are shared between
subvolumes if the other subvolume is a snapshot of the first one.

Besides, I think that doing a rsync from remote server and snapshotting the
subvolume dedicated for server will be the standard approach.

Regards,
--
Hubert Kario
QBS - Quality Business Software