On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 10:49:20AM -0500, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> >>While you are about it, how about adding in this fix from Dieter Ries to fix
> >>version a little more:
> >>http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.btrfs/20069
> >I did not notice it before, but Dieter's patch does not work when progs
> >are built from .git repository
> >
> >-echo "#define BTRFS_BUILD_VERSION \"Btrfs $v\"" >> .build-version.h
> >+echo "#define BTRFS_BUILD_VERSION \"$v\"" >> .build-version.h
> >
> >$v is set with the git tag, so the "Btrfs" string does not appear in the
> >output (eg. mkfs.btrfs).
> >
> >Technically, $v should always contain some sort of a tag, Sergei's patch
> >hardcodes it to the latest one for the non-git case. This is IMHO the
> >right approach.
> >
> OK, I see what you mean.  However, the current situation when btrfs
> is built from a tarball results in:
>
> >btrfs  --version
> Btrfs Btrfs v0.19

   I guess one problem here is that there's no canonical way of
generating a tarball (without the git files) from a git checkout, with
detailed version information. So what's happening, I suspect, is that
the distributions/people producing source tarballs of btrfs-progs are
checking out the git tree, deleting .git, and tarring up that, which
loses any git versioning.

   I think a solution may be to have a "dist" or "tar" make target
which does the above automatically and includes a suitably-generated
version.h in the tarball.

   Hugo.

> and
>
> >mkfs.btrfs  -V
> mkfs.btrfs, part of Btrfs Btrfs v0.19
>
> There must be a way to reliably just have one "Btrfs" and I will
> look into it.
>
> Gene

    --- Klytus, I'm bored. What plaything can you offer me today? ---