On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 10:14:06AM -0600, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On 1/24/13 4:09 PM, Goffredo Baroncelli wrote:

> >> Hm, they are shipped in the Fedora package.
> >
> > The same is true for the debian package, but are these used in Fedora ?
> >

> >> For backwards compat, could those be turned into shell scripts which
> >> invoke the btrfs tool?
> >
> > I don't see any gain to maintains a script bash (which has to be
> > written from scratch) instead of maintains the current C code.
>
> It should be a trivial bash script to convert the calls, and it should
> require very little maintenance.  Much less than the hundreds of lines
> of duplicated C code, I think.
>
> If nobody needs them, though, no reason for even a bash script.
>
> David, Suse may be using them now, but probably can adapt?
> Anaconda said it could drop the use of btrfsctl.  :)

   I've just asked someone I know at Canonical, and he says there's no
use of these tools in the Ubuntu installer. (Disclaimer: it's not
entirely his area, and there's probably other places to look, like
udev rules, but on a cursory glance, it should be OK).

   I've also checked with the Debian installer people, and they're not
using the deprecated tools either. Further, these searches:

http://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=btrfs-show
http://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=btrfs-vol
http://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=btrfsctl

suggest that there's very little impact over the rest of the system as
well.

   Hugo.

                --- If it ain't broke,  hit it again. ---