On 4/3/13, Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Mar 29, 2013, at 9:42 AM, Mitch Harder <mitch.har...@sabayonlinux.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 1:21 AM, Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> mkfs.btrfs -l 8192 with kernel 3.9.0 creates a file system mountable by
>>> 3.9.0 and only 3.9.0 (so far). And while there's no error making such a
>>> file system with other kernels, they won't mount the resulting file
>>> system.
>>>

>> I'm seeing something similar.
>>
>> Using the current master branch of btrfs-progs
>> (https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mason/btrfs-progs.git,
>> top commit 7854c8b667654502f69e05584729146a06827bc6 "Btrfs-progs: give
>> restore a list roots option"), if I run 'mkfs.btrfs -f /dev/<device>'
>> on a 3.7.x vintage kernel, the mkfs operation is successful, but I
>> can't mount the partition.
>>
>> I am successful on a 3.8.x vintage kernel or testing the _rc code for
>> 3.9.
>
> If you try a leaf size other than default, it creates the file system but
> won't mount it, for any 3.8.x kernel I've tried including 3.8.5. Only 3.9.0
> kernels are apparently mounting leaf sizes above 4KB, if the fs was created
> with btrfs-progs-0.20.rc1.20130308git704a08c.

I disagree with cwillu regarding the default setting for extended inode refs.

While the extended inode refs are a great addition and solve a long
standing problem, it appears only the 3.9.0_rc kernel consistently
works with extended inode refs.

There should be at least a few working kernel versions out there
before this becomes the default.  Options like this that will make
btrfs unmountable on older kernel versions need "buy-in" by the users.

There is still the capability to enable extended inode refs with btrfstune.