On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 01:17:06PM -0700, Roger Binns wrote:

> Is there any particular reason why I can't use DUP for data?

   Technically, no. Performance is likely to suck if you use
rotational disks, and you may find some SSDs deduplicate blocks,
making it fairly pointless for those devices.

> When I try to set it with balance there is a kernel message:
>
>   btrfs: dup for data is not allowed

   What kernel and userspace versions are you using? I thought the
restriction had been removed at some point (but possibly I'm just
misremembering it).

> The glossary at https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Glossary says:
>
>   Regular data cannot be assigned DUP level.
>
> It is somewhat baffling that code and documentation exists to prevent this!

   I think it did get fixed at some point. The documentation doesn't
always get updated everywhere -- it can be quite hard to find every
single implication of a feature when that feature gets changd/updated.

   Hugo.

  PGP key: 65E74AC0 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
        --- UNIX: Spanish manufacturer of fire extinguishers. ---