I don't know a better way to check than doing df -h before and
after... If you use space_cache you have to clear_cache though to make
the numbers be current for sure each time before looking at df.

Old kernel can be a problem. You can use the Arch CDs to do it, they
usually come with the newest kernels.
https://www.archlinux.org/download/

If you need to install anything a quick guide to the package managing:

# Update Repos and Upgrade system:
pacman -Suy

# Install a specific package:
pacman -S packagename