On Aug 8, 2013, at 2:23 PM, John Williams <jwilliams4...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I guess the reason that ZFS does well with that workload is that
> ZFS is using smaller blocks, maybe just 512B ?

Likely. It uses a variable block size.

> I wonder how common these type of non-4K aligned workloads are.
> Apparently, people with such workloads should avoid btrfs, but maybe
> these types of workloads are very rare?

I can't directly answer the question, but all of the typical file systems on OS
X, Linux, and Windows default to 4KB block sizes for many years now, baked in
at creation time. On OS X, the block size varies automatically with respect to
volume size at fs creation time (it goes to 8KB block sizes above 2TB, and
scales up to 1MB block sizes), but still isn't ever less than 4KB unless
manually created this way. So I'd think such workloads are rare.

I also don't know if any common use fs has an optimization whereby just the
modified sector(s) is overwritten, rather than all sectors making up the file
system block being modified.

Chris Murphy--