On Sep 25, 2013, at 6:30 AM, Josef Bacik <jba...@fusionio.com> wrote:

> That just disables cow which in turn disables csumming so it is a good
> solution
> for you right now and gives me time ti figure out wtf is going on here.

I think it's preventing the corruption of the journal logs, because I'm also no
longer getting messages from systemd saying a log is corrupt. So I don't think
the problem is solved just by not having csums. I'm thinking the csums were
always correct, it was the data that was corrupting… or both data and csums
were wrong.

It seems that the way systemd-journal is writing to disk is handled differently
only during balance operations. The corruption has never happened with days of
normal usage (no balance). But happens within tens of seconds upon balance.
Naturally something or other is always being written to the systemd-journal
logs during a balance (someone logs in=journal entry, kernel reports extent
found=journal entry, kernel reports moved chunk=journal entry).

Chris Murphy--