Hello,

thank you for your input. I didn't know that btrfs keeps the error counters over mounts/reboots, but that's nice.

I'm still trying to figure out how such a generation error may occur in the first place. One thing I noticed looking at the btrfs code is that the generation error counter will only get incremented in the actual scrubbing code (either in "scrub_checksum_super" or in "scrub_handle_errored_block", both in scrub.c - please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a btrfs dev). Also, the dmesg errors I saw were not there at boot time, but about 10 minutes after boot which was about the time when I started the scrub so I'm pretty sure that it was the scrub that detected the errors.

The question remains what can cause superblock/gen errors. Sure it could be "some" read error, but I'd really like to make sure that it's not a systematic error. I wasn't able to reproduce it yet though.

Best
Sebastian