On Dec 10, 2013, at 4:33 PM, Imran Geriskovan <imran.gerisko...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Currently, if you want to protect your data against bit-rot on
>>> a single device you must have 2 btrfs partitions and mount
>>> them as Raid1.
>
>> No this also works:
>> mkfs.btrfs -d dup -m dup -M <device>
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> I guess docs need an update:
>
> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Mkfs.btrfs:
> "-d": Data profile, values like metadata. EXCEPT DUP CANNOT BE USED
>
> man mkfs.btrfs (btrfs-tools 0.19+20130705)
> -d, --data type
>              Specify  how  the data must be spanned across
>              the devices specified. Valid values are raid0, raid1,
>              raid5,  raid6,  raid10  or single.

Current btrfs-progs is v3.12. 0.19 is a bit old. But yes, looks like the wiki
also needs updating.

Anyway I just tried it on an 8GB stick and it works, but -M (mixed
data+metadata) is required, which documentation also says incurs a performance
hit, although I'm uncertain of the significance.

Chris Murphy--