On Jan 5, 2014, at 4:48 PM, Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2014, at 2:17 PM, Sulla <su...@gmx.at> wrote:

>> Dear Chris!
>>
>> Certainly: I have 3 HDDs, all of which WD20EARS.
>
> These drives don't have a configurable SCT ERC, so you need to modify the
> SCSI block layer timeout:
>
> echo 120 >/sys/block/sdX/device/timeout
>
> You also need to schedule regular scrubs at the md level as well.
>
> echo check > /sys/block/mdX/md/sync_action
> cat /sys/block/mdX/mismatch_cnt
>
> More info about this is in man 4 md, and on the linux-raid list.
>

>>     3904907520 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 8k chunk, algorithm 2 [3/3] [UUU]
>
> OK so 8KB chunk, 16KB full stripe, so that doesn't apply to what I was
> thinking might be the case. The workload is presumably small file sizes, like
> a mail server?
>

>> any other information I can supply?
>
> I'm not a developer, I don't know if this problem is known or maybe fixed in
> a newer kernel than 3.11.0 - which has been around for 5-6 months. I think
> the main suggestion is to try a newer kernel, granted with the configuration
> of md, lvm, and btrfs you have three layers that will likely have kernel
> changes. I'd make sure you have backups. While this layout is valid and
> should work, it's also probably less common and therefore less tested.
>
> Usually in case of blocking devs want to see sysrq+w issued. The setup is
> dmesg -n7, and enable sysrq functions. Then reproduce the block, and during
> the block issue w to the sysrq trigger, then capture dmesg contents and post
> the block and any other nearby btrfs messages.
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sysrq.txt

Also, this thread is pretty cluttered with other conversations by now so I
think you're best off starting a new thread with this information, maybe a
title of "PROBLEM: btrfs on LVM on md raid, blocking > 120 seconds"

Since it's almost inevitable you'd be asked to test with a newer kernel anyway,
you might as well go to 3.13rc7 and see if you can reproduce, if reproducible,
be specific with the problem report by following this template:

https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/lkml/reporting-bugs.html

Chris Murphy--