KC <conrad.francois.ar...@googlemail.com> schrieb:

> I followed your advice on NOCOW for virtualbox images and torrents like
> so: chattr -v /home/juha/VirtualBox\ VMs/
> chattr -RC /home/juha/Downloads/torrent/#unfinished
>
> As you can see, i used the recursive flag. However, I do not know
> whether this will automatically apply to files that will be created in
> the future in subfolders that do not yet exist.
>
> Also, how can I confirm whether a file/folder has a NOCOW attribute set
> on it?

The C attribute is also inherited by newly created directories. But keep in
mind that, at the time applied, it only has effects on existing files if
they are empty (read: never written to yet). Newly created files will
inherit the attribute from its directory and then behave as expected.

You can use lsattr to confirm the C attribute was set. But again keep in
mind: it does not reflect the file is actually nocow because of the above
caveat. So in your use-case you may want to be sure by doing this (quit all
VirtualBox instances beforehand):

# mkdir "VirtualBox VMs.new"
# chattr +C "VirtualBox VMs.new"
# rsync -aSv "VirtualBox VMs"/. "VirtualBox VMs.new"/.
# mv "VirtualBox VMs" "VirtualBox VMs.bak"
# mv "VirtualBox VMs.new" "VirtualBox VMs"

Then ensure everything is working, you can use lsattr to see the C attribute
has been inherited. You should immediatly notice the effects of this by
seeing better performing IO in VirtualBox (at least this was what I
noticed). If everything was copied correctly, you can delete the backups.
You could compare md5sums to be sure, of course before running a VM. ;-)

--
Replies to list only preferred.