On Feb 6, 2014, at 11:08 PM, Roman Mamedov <r...@romanrm.net> wrote:

>  And what
> if I am accessing that partition on a server via a network CIFS/NFS share and
> don't even *have a way to find out* any of that.

That's the strongest argument. And if the user is using
Explorer/Finder/Nautilus to copy files to the share, I'm pretty sure all three
determine if there's enough free space in advance of starting the copy. So if
it thinks there's free space, it will start to copy and then later fail
midstream when there's no more space. And then the user's copy task is in a
questionable state as to what's been copied, depending on how the file copies
are being threaded.

And due to Btrfs metadata requirements even when deleting, we actually need an
Avail estimate that accounts for "phantom future metadata" as if it's currently
in use, otherwise we don't really have the right indication of whether or not
files can be copied.

Chris Murphy--