On Feb 8, 2014, at 6:55 PM, Roman Mamedov <r...@romanrm.net> wrote:

> Not sure what exactly becomes problematic if a 2-device RAID1 tells the user
> they can store 1 TB of their data on it, and is no longer lying about the
> possibility to store 2 TB on it as currently.
>
> Two 1TB disks in RAID1.

OK but while we don't have a top level switch for variable raid on a volume
yet, the on-disk format doesn't consider the device to be raid1 at all. Not the
device, nor the volume, nor the subvolume have this attribute. It's a function
of the data, metadata or system chunk via their profiles.

I can do a partial conversion on a volume, and even could do this multiple
times and end up with some chunks in every available option, some chunks
single, some raid1, some raid0, some raid5. All I have to do is cancel the
conversion before each conversion is complete, successively shortening the time.

And it's not fair to say this has no application because such conversions take
a long time. I might not want to fully do a conversion all at once. There's no
requirement that I do so.

In any case I object to the language being used that implicitly indicates the
'raidness' is a device or disk attribute.

Chris Murphy