I've experienced the following with balance:

Setup:
- Kernel 3.12.9
- 11 DVD sized (4.3GB) loopback devices.
(9 Read-Only Seed devices + 2 Read/Write devices)
- 9 device seed created with "-m single -d single" and made
Read-only with "btrfstune -S 1 ..."
- 2 devices was added at different dates. NO balance performed until now.
- NOW add 1 more device to the array and perform a balance.

Result:
Balance did run for a while and exited displaying "Process Killed".
Any attempt to unmount the array failed, preventing any
shutdown. Hence I had no option other than hard reset.

After reboot, issuing balance command gave the message
"Balance in progress".

I cancelled the balance and tried to remove the last device
which ended with a kernel crash. So I dumped 2 + 1 normal devices.

Former 9 multi device seed was OK and was mountable.

Regards,
Imran