Le vendredi 4 avril 2014 08:33:10 Austin S Hemmelgarn a écrit :
> > However I'm still concerned with chronic BTRFS dreadful performance and
> > still  find that BRTFS degrades much over time even with periodic defrag
> > and "best practices" etc.
>
> I keep hearing this from people, but i personally don't see this to be
> the case at all.  I'm pretty sure the 'big' performance degradation that
> people are seeing is due to how they are using snapshots, not a result
> using BTRFS itself (I don't use them for anything other than ensuring a
> stable system image for rsync and/or tar based backups).

Maybe I was wrong to suppose that if a feature exists, it is supposed to be
usable... I have used ZFS for years, and on ZFS having *hundreds* of snapshots
of any given FS have exactly zero impact on performance...

With BTRFS, some time ago I tried to use SuSE "snapper" that passes its time
doing and releasing snapshots, but it soon made my systems unusable...

Now, I only keep 2-3 manually made snapshots just for keeping a "stable and OK
archive of my machine in a known state" just in case...

But if even this has a noticeable negative impact on BTRFS performance, then
what the hell are BTRFS snapshots good at ??

Kind regards.

--
Swâmi Petaramesh <sw...@petaramesh.org> http://petaramesh.org PGP 9076E32E