On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 01:14:26PM +0200, Hendrik Siedelmann wrote:
> On 06.05.2014 12:59, Hugo Mills wrote:
> >On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 12:41:38PM +0200, Hendrik Siedelmann wrote:
> >>Hello all!
> >>
> >>I would like to use btrfs (or anyting else actually) to maximize raid0
> >>performance. Basically I have a relatively constant stream of data that
> >>simply has to be written out to disk. So my question is, how is the block
> >>allocator deciding on which device to write, can this decision be dynamic
> >>and could it incorporate timing/troughput decisions? I'm willing to write
> >>code, I just have no clue as to how this works right now. I read somewhere
> >>that the decision is based on free space, is this still true?
> >
> >    For (current) RAID-0 allocation, the block group allocator will use
> >as many chunks as there are devices with free space (down to a minimum
> >of 2). Data is then striped across those chunks in 64 KiB stripes.
> >Thus, the first block group will be N GiB of usable space, striped
> >across N devices.
>
> So do I understand this correctly that (assuming we have enough space) data
> will be spread equally between the disks independend of write speeds? So one
> slow device would slow down the whole raid?

   Yes. Exactly the same as it would be with DM RAID-0 on the same
configuration. There's not a lot we can do about that at this point.

> >    There's a second level of allocation (which I haven't looked at at
> >all), which is how the FS decides where to put data within the
> >allocated block groups. I think it will almost certainly be beneficial
> >in your case to use prealloc extents, which will turn your continuous
> >write into large contiguous sections of striping.
>
> Why does prealloc change anything? For me latency does not matter, only
> continuous troughput!

   It makes the extent allocation algorithm much simpler, because it
can then allocate in larger chunks and do more linear writes

> >    I would recommend thoroughly benchmarking your application with the
> >FS first though, just to see how it's going to behave for you.
> >
> >    Hugo.
> >

> Of course - it's just that I do not yet have the hardware, but I plan to
> test with a small model - I just try to find out how it actually works
> first, so I know what look out for.

   Good luck. :)

   Hugo.

  PGP key: 65E74AC0 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
     --- "I am the author. You are the audience. I outrank you!" ---