Very good comment from Ashford.

Sorry, but I see no advantages from Russell's replies other than for a
"feel-good" factor or a dangerous false sense of security. At best,
there is a weak justification that "for metadata, again going from 2% to
4% isn't going to be a great problem" (storage is cheap and fast).

I thought an important idea behind btrfs was that we avoid by design in
the first place the very long and vulnerable RAID rebuild scenarios
suffered for block-level RAID...

On 21/05/14 03:51, Russell Coker wrote:
> Absolutely. Hopefully this discussion will inspire the developers to
> consider this an interesting technical challenge and a feature that
> is needed to beat ZFS.

Sorry, but I think that is completely the wrong reasoning. ...Unless
that is you are some proprietary sales droid hyping features and big
numbers! :-P

Personally I'm not convinced we gain anything beyond what btrfs will
eventually offer in any case for the n-way raid or the raid-n Cauchy stuff.

Also note that usually, data is wanted to be 100% reliable and
retrievable. Or if that fails, you go to your backups instead. Gambling
"proportions" and "importance" rather than *ensuring* fault/error
tolerance is a very human thing... ;-)

Sorry:

Interesting idea but not convinced there's any advantage for disk/SSD
storage.

Regards,
Martin