On 2014-06-16 06:35, Russell Coker wrote:

>>> I don't believe that fallocate() makes any difference to fragmentation on
>>> BTRFS.  Blocks will be allocated when writes occur so regardless of an
>>> fallocate() call the usage pattern in systemd-journald will cause
>>> fragmentation.
>>
>> journald's write pattern looks something like this: append something to
>> the end, make sure it is written, then update a few offsets stored at
>> the beginning of the file to point to the newly appended data. This is
>> of course not easy to handle for COW file systems. But then again, it's
>> probably not too different from access patterns of other database or
>> database-like engines...
>
> Not being too different from the access patterns of other databases means
> having all the same problems as other databases...  Oracle is now selling ZFS
> servers specifically designed for running the Oracle database, but that's
> with
> "hybrid storage" "flash" (ZIL and L2ARC on SSD).  While BTRFS doesn't support
> features equivalent for ZIL and L2ARC it's easy to run a separate filesystem
> on SSD for things that need performance (few if any current BTRFS users would
> have a database too big to entirely fit on a SSD).
>
> The problem we are dealing with is "database-like" access patterns on systems
> that are not designed as database servers.
>
> Would it be possible to get an interface for defragmenting files that's not
> specific to BTRFS?  If we had a standard way of doing this then systemd-
> journald could request a defragment of the file at appropriate times.

While this is a wonderful idea, what about all the extra I/O this will
cause (and all the extra wear on SSD's)?  While I understand wanting
this to be faster, you should also consider the fact that defragmenting
the file on a regular basis is going to trash performance for other
applications.