On 22/8/2014 12:58 μμ, Filipe David Manana wrote:
On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:
Konstantinos Skarlatos posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 09:56:55 +0300 as
excerpted:

I would stay with rsync for a while, because there is always the
possibility of a bug that corrupts both your primary filesystem and your
backup one, or send propagating corruption from one filesystem to
another (Or maybe I am too paranoid, it would be good if we could have
the opinion of a btrfs developer on this)
No claim to be a dev, btrfs or otherwise, here, but I believe in this
case you /are/ "being too paranoid."

Both btrfs send and receive only deal with data/metadata they know how to
deal with.  If it's corrupt in some way or if they don't understand it,
they don't send/write it, they fail.
Most of the time yes, however we have at least 1 know bug that affects
3.14.x only where send silently corrupts file data (replaces valid
data with zeroes) at the destination:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/?id=766b5e5ae78dd04a93a275690a49e23d7dcb1f39

The fix landed in 3.15, but wasn't backported to 3.14.x yet (adding
Chris to cc).

I didnt know about this one, but bugs like this are exactly the reason somebody should be "paranoid" and not rush to use new features, especially when they concern their only backup to an experimental filesystem.

IOW, if it works without error it's as guaranteed to be golden as these
things get.  The problem is that it doesn't always work without error in
the first place, sometimes it /does/ fail.  In that instance you can
always try again as the existing data/metadata shouldn't be damaged, but
if it keeps failing you may have to try something else, rsync, etc.

Konstantinos Skarlatos