I tried the same routine on 32GB usb sticks. Same exact problems. 32GB
seems a bit much for a --mixed btrfs.
I haven't tried ssd_spread, maybe it's beneficial. However, as I wrote
above, disabling autodefrag gets rid completely of the "INFO: hung
task" messages but even though the kernel doesn't complain about
blocked kworkers, the rsync process still  blocks for several minutes
throughout the whole copy.