On 10/10/2014 03:58, Chris Murphy wrote:

* mount -o recovery
        "Enable autorecovery attempts if a bad tree root is found at mount
time."
I'm confused why it's not the default yet. Maybe it's continuing to evolve at a
pace that suggests something could sneak in that makes things worse? It is
almost an oxymoron in that I'm manually enabling an autorecovery

If true, maybe the closest indication we'd get of btrfs stablity is the default
enabling of autorecovery.

No way!
I wouldn't want a default like that.

If you think at distributed transactions: suppose a sync was issued on both sides of a distributed transaction, then power was lost on one side, than btrfs had corruption. When I remount it, definitely the worst thing that can happen is that it auto-rolls-back to a previous known-good state.

Now if I can express wishes:

I would like an option that spits out all the usable tree roots (or what's the name, superblocks?) and not just the newest one which is corrupt. And then another option that lets me mount *readonly* starting from the tree root I specify. So I can check how much of the data is still there. After I decide that such tree root is good, I need another option that lets me mount with such tree root in readwrite mode, and obviously eliminating all tree roots newer than that. Some time ago I read that mounting the filesystem with an earlier tree root was possible, but only by manually erasing the disk regions in which the newer superblocks are. This is crazy, it's too risky on too many levels, and also as I wrote I want to check what data is available on a certain tree root before mounting readwrite from that one.