Rob, That second drive was immediately put to use elsewhere. I figured having only the metadata on that drive, it wouldn't matter. The data stayed single and wasn't part of the second drive, only the metadata was. I must not be capable of understanding why that wouldn't work.

I thought all I was doing was removing a duplication of metadata and the worst I would see is a message complaining about a drive missing. Never thought the data or access to it could be compromised in what seemed to be a simple situation.

Anand, I get the same output with mount -o recovery,ro.