Updating to the latest live-git btrfs-progs (on v3.17.1 tag), I chanced
across this (gentoo) warning, pointing to a gcc warning believed to be
severe:

 * QA Notice: Package triggers severe warnings which indicate that it
 *            may exhibit random runtime failures.
 * cmds-restore.c:182:20: warning: array subscript is above array bounds
[-Warray-bounds]

 * Please do not file a Gentoo bug and instead report the above QA
 * issues directly to the upstream developers of this software.
 * Homepage: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org

A bit more context:

cmds-restore.c: In function 'next_leaf':
cmds-restore.c:182:20: warning: array subscript is above array bounds
[-Warray-bounds]
  slot = path->slots[level] + 1;
                    ^

Not being a coder I've no idea if it's a false-alarm or not, and I
generally ignore these QA warnings since I've little hope of providing
much more than the basic information or help, but since I'm already
active here I thought I'd post it and see what happens.

FWIW, gentoo/~amd64, gcc-4.8.3.

Full build log available if needed altho I expect it should be easy
enough to trace without.  Note that I normally build with
MAKEOPTS="-j10 -l8" so if log serialization is desired, please request
a -j1 build log.