On Nov 17, 2014, at 3:55 PM, Fennec Fox <fennect...@gmail.com> wrote:

> well i am an arch linux user and machine owner using a failing drive
>  its still relyable enough for me but btrfs seems not to mark bad
> blocks as unusable and continues to try to write to them.

It’s supposed to do try to write to them. If there is actual persistent write
failure it’s the job of the firmware to reassign the affected LBA to a reserve
physical sector. If it can’t do this, the drive is no longer normally
operating, it should return a write error and ideally Btrfs would refuse to use
the drive at all. I don’t know if that device rejection code exists yet. It
hasn’t been the job of the filesystem to keep track of bad physical sectors
since ancient times.

Chris Murphy--