On 11/20/2014 12:34 PM, Phillip Susi wrote:

On 11/19/2014 5:33 PM, Robert White wrote:
That would be fake raid, not hardware raid.

The LSI MegaRaid controller people would _love_ to hear more about
your insight into how their battery-backed multi-drive RAID
controller is "fake". You should go work for them. Try the "contact
us" link at the bottom of this page. I'm sure they are waiting for
your insight with baited breath!

Forgive me, I should have trimmed the quote a bit more.  I was
responding specifically to the "many mother boards have hardware RAID
support available through the bios" part, not the lsi part.

Well you should have _actually_ trimmed your response down to not pressing send.

_Many_ motherboards have complete RAID support at levels 0, 1, 10, and five 5. A few have RAID6.

Some of them even use the LSI chip-set.

Seriously... are you trolling this list with disinformation or just repeating tribal knowledge from fifteen year old copies of PC Magazine?

Yea, some of the IDE motherboards and that only had RAID1 and RAID0 (and indeed some of the add-on controllers) back in the IDE-only days were really lame just-forked-write devices with no integrity checks (hence "fake raid") but that's from like the 1990s; it's paleolithic age "wisdom" at this point.

Phillip say sky god angry, all go hide in cave! /D'oh...