On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 1:32 PM,  <ashf...@whisperpc.com> wrote:

> I disagree.  My experiences with other file-systems, including ZFS, show
> that the most common solution is to just deliver to the user the actual
> amount of unused disk space.  Anything else changes this known value into
> a guess or prediction.

What is the "actual amount of unused disk space" in a 2x 8GB drives
mirror? Very literally, it's 16GB. It's a convenience subtracting the
space used for replication (the n mirror copies, or parity). This is
in fact how df reported Btrfs volumes with kernel 3.16 and older.

A ZFS mirror vdev doesn't work this way, it reports available space as
8GB. The level of replication and number of devices is a function of
the vdev, and is fixed. It can't be changed. With Btrfs there isn't a
zpool vs vdev type of distinction, and replication level isn't a
function of volume but rather that of chunks. At some future point
there will be a way to supply a hint (per subvolume, maybe per
directory or per file) for the allocator to put the file in a
particular chunk which has a particular level of replication and
number of devices. And that means "available space" isn't knowable.

--
Chris Murphy