-----Original message-----
From:   Brendan Hide <bren...@swiftspirit.co.za>
Sent:   Fri 01-23-2015 08:18 pm
Subject:        Re: Recovery Operation With Multiple Devices
To:     Brett King <brett.k...@commandict.com.au>; linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org;
> On 2015/01/23 09:53, Brett King wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > Just wondering how 'btrfs recovery' operates
> I'm assuming you're referring to a different set of commands or general
> scrub/recovery processes. AFAIK there is no "btrfs recovery" command.

Oh yes, my apologies - I did mean 'btrfs restore' as a means of recovery.

> > , when the source device given is one of many in an MD array - I can't find
> anything documentation beyond a single device use case.
> btrfs doesn't know what an md array or member is, therefore your results
> aren't going to be well-defined. Depending on the type of md array the
> member was in, your data may be mostly readable (RAID1) or
> completely/mostly non-interpretable (RAID5/6/10/0) until md fixes the array.

Apologies again, by 'MD' I mean btrfs multiple devices not the MD for
block-level RAID via mdadm.

> > Does it automatically include all devices in the relevant MD array as
> > occurs
> when mounting, or does it only restore the data which happened to be written
> the specific, single device given ?
> As above, btrfs is not md-aware. It will attempt to work with what it is
> given. It might not understand anything it sees as it will not have a
> good description of what it is looking at. Imagine being given
> instructions on how to get somewhere only to find that the first 20
> instructions and every second instruction thereafter was skipped and
> there's a 50% chance the destination doesn't exist.
>
> >  From an inverse perspective, how can I restore all data including
> > snapshots,
> which are spread across a damaged MD FS to a new (MD) FS ?
> Your best bet is to restore the md array. More details are needed for
> anyone to assist - for example what RAID-type was the array set up with,
> how many disks were in the array, and how it failed. Also, technically
> this is the wrong place to ask for advice about restoring md arrays. ;)

The FS is btrfs RAID1 and gets forced readonly from what appears to be related
to the 3.17 snapshot bug.

> > Can send / receive do this perhaps ?
> Send/receive is for sending good data to a destination that can accept
> it. This, as above, depends on the data being readable/available. Very
> likely the data will be unreadable from a single disk unless the md
> array was RAID1.

I can read the data fine and tried the 'btrfs restore -sxv', which appeared to
do what I wanted but I don't yet have enough space on the restore target to
confirm that it gets more data than the single source disk I specify on the
command.