Just as a follow-up, I upgraded btrfs-tools and the kernel again. I
currently have a filesystem which reports 1G exclusive use:

root@riff# btrfs qg show -r -e /var -p -c
qgroupid         rfer         excl     max_rfer     max_excl parent child
--------         ----         ----     --------     -------- ------ -----
0/261         1.52GiB      1.01GiB        0.00B    100.00GiB ---     ---

This filesystem reports over quota, and removing the quota fixes that:

root@riff# touch x
touch: cannot touch ‘x’: Disk quota exceeded
root@riff# btrfs qg limit -e
none 261 /var
root@riff# touch x
root@riff#

So at the moment quotas are pretty much unusable in kernel 3.18.6/tools
3.18.2, at least for my use case, and that's a bit surprising since
there isn't anything very interesting about it (other than it contains a
bunch of lxc-cloned rootfs).

I've proactively added Yang who has submitted a few patches on quota
checking recently just to let me know if he thinks that this should be
fixed with a trunk kernel, or if he'd like to investigate or consider
this further. Thanks!