On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 07:18:29 AM Erkki Seppala wrote:
> > But as a user level facility, I want to be able to snapshot before
> > making a change to a tree full of source code and (re)building it all
> > over again.  I may want to keep my new build, but I may want to flush
> > it and return to known good state.
>
> You may want to check out cp --reflink=always (different from cp
> --link), which creates copy-on-write copy of the data. It isn't quite as
> fast as snapshots to create, but it's still plenty fast and without the
> downsides of subvolumes.

In which situations is --reflink=always expected to fail on BTRFS?

I recently needed to move /home on one system to a subvol (instead of being in
the root subvol) and used cp --reflink=always which gave a few errors when
running with BTRFS on kernel 3.16.7-ckt7-1.  I was in a hurry and didn't try
to track down the caue, I just ran it again with --reflink=auto which gave no
errors and completed very quickly (obviously the files which couldn't be
reflinked were small).