On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 6:23 PM, Sophie <just4pleis...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 24/03/15 17:34, Chris Mason wrote:

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Sophie Dexter <just4pleis...@gmail.com>
wrote:
On 20/03/2015 15:19, Sophie Dexter wrote:
I'm given to understand that this is the right place to report a btrfs
problem, I apologise if not :-(

I have been using my router as a simple NFS NAS for around 2 years
with an ext3 formatted 2 TB Western Digital 2.5" USB Passport disk. I have been slowly moving to BTRFS and thought it about time to convert this disk too but unfortunately BTRFS is unreliable on my router :-(.
It doesn't take long for an error to happen causing a 'ro' remount.
However the disk is unreadable after the remount, both for NFS and
locally. Rebooting the router seems to be the only way to access the
disk again.

I also have a 1 GB swap partition on the disk although swap doesn't
appear to be a factor as the problem occurs whether or not swap is
enabled (this report is without swap).

I used my laptop to convert the fs to btrfs, not my router. My laptop has Fedora 21 with 3.18 kernel and tools. No problems are found when I
use my laptop to check and scrub the disk (i.e. with the disk
connected directly to my laptop).

You have great timing, there are two reports of a very similar abort
with 4.0-rc5, but your report makes it clear these are not a regression
from 4.0-rc4.

Are you able to run btrfsck on this filesystem? I'd like to check for
metadata inconsistencies.

-chris

Hi Chris,

Haha, great timing is the secret of good comedy lol

OpenWrt has only very recently signed off the 3.18 kernel as the default kernel for my router, I was using a build with 3.14 when I converted my disk and saw the same problem :!: I may have posted something I haven't repeated here in the OpenWrt ticket I opened:

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/19216

I previously checked and scrubbed the disk when the problem first occurred and happily no problems were found then. Although, I had to use another computer because btrfs check doesn't complete on my router, the process is killed due to lack of memory (btrfs invoked oom-killer) :-( Should I start another topic for this or just accept that that problem is due to a lack of memory?

I have just run btrfs check again using (yet another) laptop and I think everything is still OK:

# btrfs check /dev/sdb1
Checking filesystem on /dev/sdb1
UUID: ########-####-####-####-############
checking extents
checking free space cache
checking fs roots
checking csums
checking root refs
found 930516788539 bytes used err is 0
total csum bytes: 1234353920
total tree bytes: 1458515968
total fs tree bytes: 54571008
total extent tree bytes: 66936832
btree space waste bytes: 73372568
file data blocks allocated: 1264250781696
 referenced 1264250781696
Btrfs v3.14.1
# uname -a
Linux ######-########-#### 3.16.0-31-generic #43-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 10 17:37:36 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Sophie, can you please grab the latest btrfs progs from git:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/kdave/btrfs-progs.git

And try with that btrfsck?

The other image that is reproducing this has an error in the free space cache, so I'd like to confirm if you're hitting the same problem.

-chris