On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 10:50:12AM +0200, George Duffield wrote:
> Running a traditional raid5 array of that size is statistically
> guaranteed to fail in the event of a rebuild.

   Except that if it were, you wouldn't see anyone running RAID-5
arrays of that size and (considerably) larger. And successfully
replacing devices in them.

   As I understand it, the calculations that lead to the conclusion
you quote are based on the assumption that the bit error rate (BER) of
the drive is applied on all reads -- this is not the case. The BER is
the error rate of the platter after the device has been left unread
(and powered off) for some long period of time. (I've seen 5 years
been quoted for that).

   Hugo.

--
Hugo Mills             | Beware geeks bearing GIFs
hugo@... carfax.org.uk |