On 2015-09-21 16:35, Erkki Seppala wrote:
Gareth Pye <gar...@cerberos.id.au> writes:

People tend to be looking at BTRFS for a guarantee that data doesn't
die when hardware does. Defaults that defeat that shouldn't be used.

However, data is no more in danger at startup than it is at the moment
when btrfs notices a drive dropping, yet it permits IO to proceed. Is
there not a contradiction?

Personally I don't see why system startup should be a special case, in
particular as it can be very stressful situation to recover from when
RAID is there just to avoid the immediate reaction when hardware breaks;
and when in practice you can do the recovery while the system is running
in systems where short service interruptions matter.

The difference is that we have code to detect a device not being present at mount, we don't have code (yet) to detect it dropping on a mounted filesystem. Why having proper detection for a device disappearing does not appear to be a priority, I have no idea, but that is a separate issue from mount behavior.