On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 10:47 PM, Zygo Blaxell
<ce3g8...@umail.furryterror.org> wrote:

> I wouldn't describe dedup+defrag as unsafe.  More like insane.  You won't
> lose any data, but running both will waste a lot of time and power.
> Either one is OK without the other, or applied to non-overlapping sets
> of files, but they are operations with opposite results.

That is probably why I disabled it then.  I now recall past discussion
that defragging a file wasn't snapshot-aware, though I thought that
was fixed.

Obviously there is always a tradeoff since from a dedup perspective
you're best off arranging extents so that you're sharing as much as
possible, and from a defrag standpoint you want to just have each file
have a single extent even if two files differ by a single byte.

I've pretty much stopped running VMs on btrfs and I've adjusted my
journal settings to something more sane so the defrag isn't nearly as
important these days.

--
Rich