On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 12:53:33PM +1300, Lukas Pirl wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I rarely see balance used with -dusage -musage together, esp. with
> values other than zero.
>
> The question is, is there anything wrong with running (say) `balance
> -dusage=50 -musage=30` regularly?

   Nothing actively wrong with that, no. It certainly won't break
anything. It's just rarely actually useful. The usual situation is
that you run out of one kind of storage before the other (data vs
metadata, that is), and you need to free up some allocation of one of
them so it can go to the other. This is typically too much data
allocation, and metadata has run out (so -d is more often used than
-m).

   For the "usual" case of running out of metadata allocation, you
don't actually need much space to reclaim, so -dlimit=X for small X is
an easier approach to use.

   Hugo.

--
Hugo Mills             | Questions are a burden, and answers a prison for
hugo@... carfax.org.uk | oneself