On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 08:21:31AM -0500, Austin S Hemmelgarn wrote:
> On 2015-11-20 06:39, Dmitry Katsubo wrote:
> >If I may add:
> >
> >Information for "System"
> >
> >   System, DUP: total=32.00MiB, used=16.00KiB
> >
> >is also quite technical, as for end user system = metadata (one can call
> >it "filesystem metadata" perhaps). For simplicity the numbers can be
> >added to "Metadata" thus eliminating that line as well.
> >
> >For those power users who really want to see the tiny details like
> >"System" and "GlobalReserve" I suggest to implement "-v" flag:
> >
> ># btrfs fi usage -v
> Actually, I really like this idea, one of the questions I get asked
> when I show people BTRFS is the difference between System and
> Metadata, and it's not always easy to explain to somebody who
> doesn't have a background in filesystem development.  For some
> reason, people seem to have trouble with the concept that the system
> tree is an index of the other trees.

   Actually, it's not that in the system chunks. :)

   System chunks contain the chunk tree, not the tree of tree roots.
They're special (and small) because they're listed explicitly by devid
and physical offset at the end of the superblock, and allow the FS to
read them first so that it can bootstrap the logical:physical mapping
table before it starts reading all the other metadata like the tree of
tree roots (which is "normal" metadata).

   Hugo.

--
Hugo Mills             | Startle, startle, little twink. How I wonder what
hugo@... carfax.org.uk | you think.