On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 09:59:40AM -0500, Austin S Hemmelgarn wrote:
> On 2015-11-28 08:46, Hugo Mills wrote:
> >    We've just had someone on IRC with a problem mounting their FS. The
> >main problem is that they've got a corrupt log tree. That isn't the
> >subject of this email, though.
> >
> >    The issue I'd like to raise is that even with -oro as a point
> >option, the FS is trying to replay the log tree. The dmesg output from
> >mount -oro is at the end of the email.
> >
> >    Now, my memory, experience and understanding is that the FS
> >doesn't, and shouldn't replay the log tree on a RO mount, because the
> >FS should still be consistent even without the reply, and
> >RO-means-actually-RO is possible and desirable. (Compared to a
> >journalling FS, where journal replay is required for a consistent,
> >usable FS).
> This is exactly how it should behave (being able to say that a RO
> mount is really RO (if atimes aren't enabled) is a huge selling
> point).  On a side note, a properly designed journaling filesystem
> _can_ be made to behave like this, but it makes the filesystem
> _really_ slow if you don't have enough RAM to cache all the blocks
> modified by the journal (because each block access has to check the
> journal for modifications).
> >
> >    So, this looks to me like a regression that's come in somewhere.
> I'm not sure that this ever worked the way it should.  It should be
> fixed regardless of what state things were however.

   I'm pretty sure it was like that at some point, because I've used
it as a diagnostic tool: If you can mount OK with -oro, but not
without, then the log tree is broken, and btrfs-zero-log can be used
to good effect. (In fact, that's what I was trying to do with the OP
when I spotted the issue).

   Hugo.

--
Hugo Mills             | You are not stuck in traffic: you are traffic
hugo@... carfax.org.uk |