On Sun, Dec 27, 2015 at 5:39 PM, Christoph Anton Mitterer
<cales...@scientia.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2015-12-27 at 11:29 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> then the scrub request is effectively a
>> scrub for a volume with a missing drive which you probably wouldn't
>> ever do, you'd first replace the missing device.
> While that's probably the normal work flow,... it should still work the
> other way round... and if not, I'd consider that a bug.

I think it's more complicated than that.

I don't see a good use case for scrubbing a degraded array. First make
the array healthy, then scrub. But I've not tested this with mdadm or
lvm raid. I don't know how they behave. But even if either of them
tolerate it, it's a legitimate design decision for Btrfs developers to
refuse supporting the scrub of a degraded array. Same for balancing
for that matter.

The problem here is, Btrfs itself may not even know the array state is
degraded. There's a degraded mount option, but since there's no device
faulty state yet, I don't see how it can know to go degraded, at which
point it could legitimately refuse to scrub.

Of course, the fs should get worse, there shouldn't be a crash, even
if degraded scrub isn't supported.

--
Chris Murphy