Dan Blazejewski wrote on 2016/02/17 18:04 -0500:
Hello,

I upgraded my kernel to 4.4.2, and btrfs-progs to 4.4. I also added
another 4TB disk and kicked off a full balance (currently 7x4TB
RAID6). I'm interested to see what an additional drive will do to
this. I'll also have to wait and see if a full system balance on a
newer version of BTRFS tools does the trick or not.

I also noticed that "btrfs device usage" shows multiple entries for
Data, RAID 6 on some drives. Is this normal? Please note that /dev/sdh
is the new disk, and I only just started the balance.

# btrfs dev usage /mnt/data
/dev/sda, ID: 5
    Device size:             3.64TiB
    Data,RAID6:              1.43TiB
    Data,RAID6:              1.48TiB
    Data,RAID6:            320.00KiB
    Metadata,RAID6:          2.55GiB
    Metadata,RAID6:          1.50GiB
    System,RAID6:           16.00MiB
    Unallocated:           733.67GiB

/dev/sdb, ID: 6
    Device size:             3.64TiB
    Data,RAID6:              1.48TiB
    Data,RAID6:            320.00KiB
    Metadata,RAID6:          1.50GiB
    System,RAID6:           16.00MiB
    Unallocated:             2.15TiB

/dev/sdc, ID: 7
    Device size:             3.64TiB
    Data,RAID6:              1.43TiB
    Data,RAID6:            732.69GiB
    Data,RAID6:              1.48TiB
    Data,RAID6:            320.00KiB
    Metadata,RAID6:          2.55GiB
    Metadata,RAID6:        982.00MiB
    Metadata,RAID6:          1.50GiB
    System,RAID6:           16.00MiB
    Unallocated:            25.21MiB

/dev/sdd, ID: 1
    Device size:             3.64TiB
    Data,RAID6:              1.43TiB
    Data,RAID6:            732.69GiB
    Data,RAID6:              1.48TiB
    Data,RAID6:            320.00KiB
    Metadata,RAID6:          2.55GiB
    Metadata,RAID6:        982.00MiB
    Metadata,RAID6:          1.50GiB
    System,RAID6:           16.00MiB
    Unallocated:            25.21MiB

/dev/sdf, ID: 3
    Device size:             3.64TiB
    Data,RAID6:              1.43TiB
    Data,RAID6:            732.69GiB
    Data,RAID6:              1.48TiB
    Data,RAID6:            320.00KiB
    Metadata,RAID6:          2.55GiB
    Metadata,RAID6:        982.00MiB
    Metadata,RAID6:          1.50GiB
    System,RAID6:           16.00MiB
    Unallocated:            25.21MiB

/dev/sdg, ID: 2
    Device size:             3.64TiB
    Data,RAID6:              1.43TiB
    Data,RAID6:            732.69GiB
    Data,RAID6:              1.48TiB
    Data,RAID6:            320.00KiB
    Metadata,RAID6:          2.55GiB
    Metadata,RAID6:        982.00MiB
    Metadata,RAID6:          1.50GiB
    System,RAID6:           16.00MiB
    Unallocated:            25.21MiB

/dev/sdh, ID: 8
    Device size:             3.64TiB
    Data,RAID6:            320.00KiB
    Unallocated:             3.64TiB

Not sure how that multiple chunk type shows up.
Maybe all these shown RAID6 has different number of stripes?

Qu, in regards to your question, I ran RAID 1 on multiple disks of
different sizes. I believe I had a mix of 2x4TB, 1x2TB, and 1x3TB
drive. I replaced the 2TB drive first with a 4TB, and balanced it.
Later on, I replaced the 3TB drive with another 4TB, and balanced,
yielding an array of 4x4TB RAID1. A little while later, I wound up
sticking a fifth 4TB drive in, and converting to RAID6. The sixth 4TB
drive was added some time after that. The seventh was added just a few
minutes ago.

Personally speaking, I just came up to one method to balance all these disks, and in fact you don't need to add a disk.

1) Balance all data chunk to single profile
2) Balance all metadata chunk to single or RAID1 profile
3) Balance all data chunk back to RAID6 profile
4) Balance all metadata chunk back to RAID6 profile
System chunk is so small that normally you don't need to bother.

The trick is, as single is the most flex chunk type, only needs one disk with unallocated space. And btrfs chunk allocater will allocate chunk to device with most unallocated space.

So after 1) and 2) you should found that chunk allocation is almost perfectly balanced across all devices, as long as they are in same size.

Now you have a balance base layout for RAID6 allocation. Should make things go quite smooth and result a balanced RAID6 chunk layout.

Thanks,
Qu

Thanks!