On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 11:19:34AM -0500, Carlos Ortega wrote:
> I'd like to confirm that btrfs raid actually works.  My filesystem
> looks like it's a simple concatenation judging from its size in df -k
> output.  btrfs filesystem df says it's a raid10, I just don't
> completely trust it.  Also I'm stuck at version 3.19.1, I can't go
> higher.

   Don't trust plain df. It's likely to be lying to some degree. btrfs
fi df will tell you how much data is under RAID, and btrfs fi show
will tell you how much space is not yet allocated. There's a couple of
FAQ entries on how to interpret that output correctly.

> Can someone confirm that raid works in this version?  If so which
> levels of raid?  I'd prefer raid5 or raid6.

   Definitely don't use parity RAID on 3.19. It's not really something
I'd trust, personally, even on 4.4, except for testing purposes.

   TBH, I wouldn't really want to be running something as old as 3.19
either. The actual problems of running older kernels are, IME,
considerably worse than the perceived problems of upgrading. If you're
restricted to that version by some upstream supplier, then they should
be giving you support and recommending what's usable in that kernel.

   Hugo.

--
Hugo Mills             | There are three mistaikes in this sentance.
hugo@... carfax.org.uk |