John Smith posted on Tue, 01 Mar 2016 15:24:04 +0100 as excerpted:

> what is the status of  btrfs raid5 in kernel 4.4? Thank you

That is a very good question. =:^)

The answer, to the best I can give it, is, btrfs raid56 mode has no known
outstanding bugs specific to it at this time (unless a dev knows of any,
but I've not seen any confirmed on-list), and hasn't had any, at least
nothing major, since early in the 4.1 cycle, so 4.2 thru 4.4 should be
clean of /known/ raid56 bugs.

However, there was (at least) /one/ report of a problem on raid56, that
to my knowledge hasn't been traced, so it's unknown if it would have
happened on say raid1 or raid10, as opposed to the raid5/6 it did happen
on, or not.  Of course with raid56 mode still being relatively new,
that's one suspect, but we simply don't know at this point, and I've seen
nothing further on that thread in say 10 days or so, so I'm not sure we
ever will.

So the best recommendation I can give is that raid56 mode is definitely
coming along, but depending on how cautious you are, may or may not yet
be considered quite as stable as the rest of btrfs in general.

If your use-case calls for raid5 or raid6 and provided you have backups
in place if you value the data (a caveat which still applies to btrfs in
general even more than it does to fully stable and mature filesystems, as
in general it's "stabilizing, but not yet fully stable and mature", and
here, even incrementally more to raid56 mode), raid56 mode is what I'd
call the barely acceptable tolerably stable range, but I'd still be much
more comfortable with, and recommend, waiting another couple of kernel
cycles just to be sure if you don't have an /immediate/ need, or
alternatively, using say raid10 mode.

Again, that's assuming backups and that you're prepared to use them if
necessary, if you care about the data, but again, that still applies to
btrfs in general, and indeed, to a slightly lessor extent to /any/ data
on /any/ filesystem.  Because as the sysadmin's rule of backups states
(in simple form), you either have at least one level of backup, or by
your (in)actions, you are literally defining that data as worth less than
the time and resources necessary to do that backup.  Which means if you
lose the data and don't have it backed up elsewhere to restore it from,
you can still be happy, as obviously you considered the time and
resources necessary to do that backup as of more worth than the data, so
even if you lose the data, you saved what was obviously more important to
you, the time and resources you otherwise would have put into ensuring
that you had a backup, if the data was worth it.

So take heed and don't decide only AFTER you've lost it, that the data
was actually worth more than the time and resources you DIDN'T spend on
backing it up.  And while that definitely applies a bit more to btrfs in
its current "stabilizing but not yet fully stable and mature" state than
it does to fully stable and mature filesystems, it applies well enough to
all of them, that figuring out the data was worth more than you thought
is /always/ an experience you'd rather avoid, /regardless/ of the
filesystem and hardware that data is on. =:^)

And with it either backed up or of only trivial value regardless, you
don't have anything to lose, and even if raid56 mode /doesn't/ prove so
stable for you after all, you can still rest easy knowing you aren't
going to lose anything of value. =:^)