Dear btfs community,

I have added a drive to existing raid1 btrfs volume and decided to perform balancing so that data distributes "fairly" among drives. I have started "btrfs balance start", but it stalled for about 5-10 minutes intensively doing the work. After that time it has printed something like "had to relocate 50 chunks" and exited. According to drive I/O, "btrfs balance" did most (if not all) of the work, so after it has exited the job was done.

Shouldn't "btrfs balance start" do the operation in the background?

Thanks for any information.

--
With best regards,
Dmitry