Chris Murphy posted on Thu, 23 Jun 2016 18:54:28 -0600 as excerpted:

> From the pasted kernel messages:
>
>> Linux version 3.18.34-std473-amd64 (root@rl-sysrcd-p11) (gcc version
>> 4.8.5 (Gentoo 4.8.5 p1.3, pie-0.6.2) ) #2 SMP Tue May 24 20:34:19 UTC
>> 2016
>

> 3.18.34 is ancient. Find something newer and try to remount normally.
> And then also with recovery if necessary (don't use ro, see if it'll
> mount rw and fix itself). And if not, then try btrfs check with a newer
> version of btrfs-progs, I can't tell from the pasted output what version
> you're using but since the kernel is so old, decent chance the btrfsck
> is old also.

...  So I guess that means we're back to supporting only the latest two
LTS kernel series, those being 4.1 and 4.4 at this time.  I had hoped
that btrfs was stabilizing enough, and 3.18 was trouble-free enough btrfs-
wise, that we could expand that to three LTS series now, as the
indications were we might when 4.4 was still new.  But it seems that
while we did support it a bit longer, say 2.5 LTS series, that couldn't
continue until the /next/ LTS came out.

Oh, well, it /was/ a bit of a stretch...