Peter Becker posted on Tue, 28 Jun 2016 10:16:58 +0200 as excerpted:

> Cause of kernel bugs was a defective HDD (/dev/sdd).

Just a short note to mention that invalid opcode 0000 doesn't say much.
I'm just another user and list regular, but apparently, opcode 0000 is
used as a deliberate way to trigger a kernel bugon, when the kernel hits
code that it isn't expected to ever hit in normal operations.  Given that
common usage, opcode 0000 itself says very little except that something
went wrong, which we already know given the triggered backtrace.

While the 0000 opcode isn't of much help, however, devs can make more
sense of the backtrace, particularly in cases such as this where it has
the file and line number that triggered the bugon.  That and the other
information provided does help quite a bit to trace down the bug.

(At first I was wondering about all these opcode 0000 traces too, until
someone explained that to me.)