(email ends up in gmail spamfolder)
On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 10:14 PM, Dmitry Katsubo <dm...@mail.ru> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Question #1:
>
> While doing defrag I got the following message:
>
> # btrfs fi defrag -r /home
> ERROR: defrag failed on /home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox: Success
> total 1 failures
>
> I feel that something went wrong, but the message is a bit misleading.
>
> Provided that Dropbox is running in the system, does it mean that it
> cannot be defagmented?

I think it is a matter of newlines in btrfs-progs and/or stdout/stderr mixup.

You should run the command with -v and probably also with -f, so that
it gets hopefully clearer what is wrong.

That it fails on dropbox is an error I think, but maybe known: Could
be mount option is compress and that that causes trouble for defrag
although that should not happen.

You can defrag just 1 file, so maybe you could try to make a reproducible case.
What kernel?
What btrfs-progs?

> Question #2:
>
> Suppose that in above example /home/ftp is mounted as another btrfs
> array (not subvolume). Will 'btrfs fi defrag -r /home' defragment it
> (recursively) as well?

I dont know, I dont think so, but you can simply try.