I just potentially damaged a perfectly good filesystem because of this. I was
getting hundreds of "Incorrect local backref count" so I decided to try repair,
which seemed to complete ok. I then rescanned without repair and btrfs check
eventually crashed with an assertion. That's when I figured something may be
wrong.

Thankfully I have an offsite backup (this was the onsite backup), but what a
pain....

Paul.