On 09/19/2016 05:38 PM, David Sterba wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 01:31:42PM -0400, Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:
>> [...] A lot of stuff that may seem obvious to us after years of
>> working with BTRFS isn't going to be to a newcomer, and it's a lot more
>> likely that some random person will get things write if we have a good,
>> central BCP document than if it stays as scattered tribal knowledge.
>
> The IRC tribe answers the same newcomer questions over and over, which
> is fine for the interaction itself, but if all that also ended up in
> wiki we'd have perfect documentation years ago.

Yes, it's not the first time I'm thinking "wow, this #btrfs irc log I
have here is a goldmine of very useful information". Transforming it
into concise usable text on a wiki is a lot of work, but there's
certainly a "turnover" point that can be reached quite fast (I guess).

OTOH, the same happens on the mailing list, where I also see lots of
similar things answered over and over again, and a lot of treasures
being buried and forgotten.

> Also the current status
> of features and bugs is kept in the IRC-hive-mind yet it still needs
> some other way to actually make it appear on wiki. Edit with courage!

Oh, right there at the end, I expected: Join #btrfs on freenode IRC! :-D

--
Hans van Kranenburg