Le 20/09/2016 à 22:18, Alexandre Poux a écrit :

> Le 20/09/2016 à 21:46, Chris Murphy a écrit :
>>> Yeah you are absolutely right, this was a temporary solution which came
>>> to be not that temporary.
>>> And I regret it already...
>> Well on the bright side, if this were LVM or mdadm linear/concat
>> array, the whole thing would be toast because any other file system
>> would have lost too much fs metadata on the missing device.

>>> I'm not that crazy, I tried the patch inside a virtual machine on
>>> virtual drives...
>>> And since it's only virtual, it may not work on the real partition...
>> Are you sure the virtual setup lacked a CHUNK_ITEM on the missing
>> device? That might be what pinned it in that case.
> In fact in my virtual setup there was more chunk missing (1 metadata 1
> System and 1 Data).
> I will try to do a setup closer to my real one.
Good news, I made a test were in my virtual setup, I was missing no
chunk at all
And in this case, It has no problem to remove it !
What I did is
- make an array with 6 disks (data single, metadata raid1)
- dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/somefile bs=64M count=16 # make a 1G file
- use btrfs-debug-tree to identify which device was not used
- shutdown the vm, remove this virtual device, and restart the vm
- mount the array in degraded but with read write thanks to the patched
kernel
- btrfs remove missing
- and voilà !
I will try with something else than /dev/null, but this is very encouraging
Do you think that my test is too trivial ?
Should I try something else before trying on the real partition with the
overlay ?